Friends Of Malawi (FOM), a registered non-profit organization, formed in 1987 by US Peace Corps Volunteers who previously served in Malawi, is running a small grants program for sustainable development projects in Malawi.
So far, FOM has been able to award over $75,000 in small grants to a variety of initiatives in numerous different development areas, some of which include:
- Bee keeping training and start-up materials for a bee honey program
- Lockable medicine cabinets for a health centre
- Shelving for a school library
- Egg-laying chickens for a local income-generating activity
- Sustainable agriculture (permaculture) projects
All grants must reflect basic elements of sustainable development, follow the criteria set by FOM, and must follow the application guidelines. FOM has also provided grant examples in order to help prospective applicants write a better grant proposals.
Most project grants range from $100 to $500, dispensed in current equivalent Malawi Kwacha. Larger grants are considered in special circumstances, when development is significant and FOM support is meaningful to the success of the project.