In January 2011, 4000 copies of the second edition of a combined Chichewa-English and English-Chichewa Dictionary were distributed for free to pupils, teachers and libraries of some 30 secondary schools in Malawi. The book has been in shops in Malawi and Zambia since mid-2010.
Namikango Mission and the Tithandizane Educational Programme provided for the logistics of the operation. By free distribution to learners who have no economical means of their own, the Dictionary Project of Foundation Heart for Malawi, led by Dr. Steven Paas, wants to provide a tool for communication to Chichewa spoken Africa, thus promoting education and development.
Here are some photos from the distribution events:
- The English-Chichewa (EC) and Chichewa-English (CE) Dictionary Project has its own website
- First edition of the combined Chichewa-to-English and English-to-Chichewa dictionary released
- Dictionaries for Schools in Chichewa speaking Africa
- The English-Chichewa (EC) and Chichewa-English (CE) dictionary now online!
- Free Dictionaries for Pupils in Malawi and in other parts of Chewa/ Nyanja speaking Africa
- Google now speaks Chichewa!